Dust mites are microscopic bugs that primarily live on dead skin cells shed regularly from humans and their pets. They don’t carry disease, but they can cause some rather uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous allergic reactions in a growing number of people who are allergic to their faeces. Dust mites create even more of a problem for asthmatics and others with severe allergies. A single dust mite produces about 20 waste droppings (faeces) each day, each containing a protein to which many people are allergic. Depending on the person and exposure, reactions can range from itchy red eyes, headaches, nasal and sinus problems, scratchy or sore throat, fatigue, depression, to triggering more frequent asthma attacks. And, unlike other types of mites, house dust mites are not parasites since they only eat dead skin. It pays to get your bed cleaned regularly to prevent problems occurring.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.